Monday, February 26, 2007

Remedy for Drought

1 Kings 8:35-36
"When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against You, when they pray toward this place and confess Your name, and turn from their sin because You afflict them, then hear in heaven, and forgive the sin of Your servants, Your people Israel, that You may teach them the good way in which they should walk; and send rain on Your land which You have given to Your people as an inheritance. NKJV

This is a part of Solomon’s prayer of dedication for the magnificent temple he had built. He stood before the people with hands spread up toward heaven praising and glorifying God for what He had provided for His people. However, a part of Solomon’s prayer included provision for failure. He knew the people would falter and sin, and even turn away from the Lord. So he also prayed that God would draw them back. That’s where this verse comes in.

Sometimes we grow weary, our lives get wrapped up in the muck of this world. We slip away, and God has to get our attention. But if we will confess our sin and turn back to Him, He will again send His rain on our land.

Lord, light a fire again, I feel new life begin.
I will stand and testify;
Lord, new strength abounds in me,
Revival set me free. I am brand new.

You have called me to Your table.
You have called me by name;
You know the hunger within my heart,
I don’t want to be the same.

(You Have Called Me)

No comments: