Monday, February 5, 2007

Thunder and Rain

1 Sam 12:16-18
"Now therefore, stand and see this great thing which the LORD will do before your eyes: Is today not the wheat harvest? I will call to the LORD, and He will send thunder and rain, that you may perceive and see that your wickedness is great, which you have done in the sight of the LORD, in asking a king for yourselves."
So Samuel called to the LORD, and the LORD sent thunder and rain that day; and all the people greatly feared the LORD and Samuel.
NKJV

It was time for the harvest. The need was for dry weather in order to bring in the harvest, but instead, the Lord sent rain. It wasn’t just a light rain either—thunder and rain came. Such a storm that it struck fear into the hearts of the people. Why? Because they had acted wickedly. They had insisted on having a king to lead them. They wanted to be like all the other nations around them, the pagan nations who were their enemies. God Himself had led them through His judges, prophets and priests; they wanted a king. They were rejecting God’s leadership.
How many times do we look around us and desire things based on what others have or do? Are we envious of the wicked when they prosper? Fear the Lord and ask Him to reveal the situation to you from His perspective. The story is not over yet.

He washed my eyes with tears, that I might see
The broken heart I had was good for me;
He tore it all apart and looked inside,
He found it full of fear and foolish pride.
He swept away the things that made me blind,
And then, I saw the clouds were silver lined;
And now I understand ‘twas best for me.
He washed my eyes with tears, that I might see.

(He Washed My Eyes With Tears)

No comments: