Monday, January 22, 2007

Seasonal Rain

Deut 11:13-16
And it shall be that if you earnestly obey My commandments which I command you today, to love the LORD your God and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul, then I will give you the rain for your land in its season, the early rain and the latter rain, that you may gather in your grain, your new wine, and your oil. And I will send grass in your fields for your livestock, that you may eat and be filled. NKJV

Obedience to His commandments bring the rain, rain in its season. It is not always an appropriate time for rain. Sometimes the rain needs to be withheld, for ground that is forever soaked will grow moldy and rot. Nutrients will be stripped away. The land will be worthless. It takes seasons of both, dry and rain, to produce a good crop.
If we do not know thirst, we can not appreciate what it is like to have that thirst quenched. So, as we serve Him, our loving Father provides just the right amount of rain to produce a good crop.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their forces above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness mercy and love.

2 comments:

Carina said...

You've given me a lot to think about. I'll have to re-read and ponder for a bit. Just wanted to let you know I liked them.

Eshtemoa said...

Yes, in the natural world, a great amount of rain is called a flood and is a disaster to those who live in its path. This also makes me think of sunlight, and how too much of it produces a desert, while just the right amount gives life. I wonder how many other aspects of life work in the same way. It is a refreshing perspective, and helpful in dealing with everyday life and concerns.